On January 1, 2014 my practice will enter a new and exciting chapter. In all honesty, this has been the 2nd hardest letter to write and decision to make, ever since I stopped delivering babies in 2006. I thought about bringing in more physicians, nurses, or other practitioners but was concerned that they’d disappoint me and you with the service that they give.
With the Affordable Care Act (otherwise known as ‘ObamaCare’) the future of healthcare is uncertain but one thing is very clear to me: I will need to schedule more patients per hour and spend less time per patient. My motto has always been TLC (a Tradition of Listening & Caring) and I treat my patients the way I would my mother, my daughter, my wife or my sister. I could not go down this “CVS-style” increased volume / decreased quality model of healthcare delivery! I firmly believe medicine can only be practiced by having enough time to listen to and really get to know your patients!
Changes effective 1/1/14:
1. We will be off-contract providers accepting ALL insurance: You may get a letter from your insurance company stating that you can no longer see me; that is completely false! In fact it may be less expensive.
2. We will still do all your insurance company billing: If you think about the state of insurance coverage in 2014, $50 co-pays, $5,000 deductibles and co-insurances, how much of an office visit does an insurance company actually pay for?
3. What this means to you: We will bill your insurance — JUST LIKE WE DO NOW. We will collect at the time of service — JUST LIKE WE DO NOW with co-pays. Your insurance company will then reimburse you directly according to your plan benefits — JUST LIKE THEY DO NOW except that now they take that reimbursement and send it to us!
- We’ll have MORE time allotted for patient visits & more availability!
- I will continue to maintain the highest standard of care for our patients.
- I will always be your doctor. In our office you will never see an NP, PA, RN, student or other MD.
- I will see you in an urgent situation. I will keep you out of the urgent care and emergency room, when appropriate.
- I will answer your calls and e-mails.
- Billing will be fair, fully disclosed, and explained by my staff in order to fully understand it.
- You will NOT have to pay any type of annual membership (Concierge) fee.
- Our intention is to minimize patients’ out of pocket costs, without compromising medical quality.
- Our Blue Shield contract expires on 7/1/14.
- I will continue to be an in-network MediCare provider for my existing patients.
- Currently nothing changes for those patients who already see us OON – Out of network (ie. HMO, Kaiser or no insurance).
In order for you to dip your toes in the water before you jump in, if you use your PPO insurance with us, we will offer you a “Healthy You in 2014” 30% savings on your first appointment! Consider it a ‘test the waters’ invitation so that you don’t have to think about it. Feel free to contact my staff if this is at all confusing or intimidating for you.
Won’t you please join me in 2014 and let me advocate for YOUR BEST health?
Ian Taras, MD, GYN
Board Certified Ob/Gyn
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.